Signs of executive dysfunction
- Sets the wrong goals
- Is frazzled and missing commitments
- Makes ongoing comments about overwork
- Obviously bad decisions are made
- Does not have a roadmap or plan for their area or function
- Can’t attract senior talent
- Inability to hire senior people either because the executive does not think it is important or can not attract senior people) is a tell that they should be replaced.
- Great executive constantly refresh their org plan
- Does not free up the CEO from minutiae and engagement. CEO gets pulled into their function frequently.
- alternatively other people are pulled into assist the person
One way to solve the dysfunction is layering, where you bring in someone more senior from whom the executive can learn. This can be fraught with complications1.
1. Gil, E. When Executives Break.