Engineering Career Ladder
Progression.fyi is a good resource for viewing and comparing other technical career ladders. This should probably be your first stop to create a new ladder as it is kept up to date and covers a lot of the resources below:
- This blog post outlines the development/re-vamp of an engineering career ladder at CircleCI. Has a matrix/excel doc that outlines various levels.1
- This blog post shares the engineering ladder for rent the runway.
- This blog post shares the engineering and engineering management ladder at Square.
- This document explains each engineer and manager role at Square.
- Four Square Competency Matrix
- Fog Creek Professional ladder written by Joel Spolsky which compares experience in time vs. skills vs. scope of work. Primarily comp focused.
- A post by by Brandon Hays discussing the challenges of defining senior leadership and his thoughts on what it is.
- This blog post outlines the individual contributor vs. management track.
- This blog post talks generally about forming a career ladder. Has the “Anti-patterns” element and specific time mile-markers.
- Career Ladder open sourced by Sarah Drasner
Reinhard, L. Why We Re-Designed Our Engineering Career Paths at CircleCI. CircleCI (2018).