Three Types of Negotiation Leverage
According to Chris Voss1, there are three types of leverage:
- The Three types of leverage
- “Positive” leverage -> your ability to give them what they want
- “Negative” leverage -> the ability to make the counterparty suffer. This gets attention because of loss aversion.
- It can be very helpful to label your negative leverage without necessarily threatening it
- Normative leverage -> rules and moral moral framework of the counterparty that advance your position