Starting a new technical management job
- Be humble in your approach1
- Listen more than speaking1
- Don’t try to contribute value to early1
- Don’t belittle past efforts1
- Have opinions not dogmas1
- Focus on evolution, not a revolution (don’t flip over the table)1
- Don’t chase ghosts, I.e. don’t bring the problems of your previous company and assume the same issues are relevant to the new company 2.
- One of the the things that the best new executives will do is get the lay of the land, talk to a ton of people, put together an org plan, and put together a time-based roadmap for their function 3.
Erik Bernhardsson wrote a narrative for on-boarding as technical leader in data cite:bernhardssonBuildingDataTeam. Much of the narrative is data specific, but the approach is generalizable as a technical leader: identify problem areas, find ways to deliver business value, re-trench on people / org issues, meet with stake holders.